The master plan was approved in Decision 287/QĐ-TTg, signed by Deputy Prime Minister Lê Văn Thành on 28th February.
Some major objectives include:
– Promoting the development of agriculture towards sustainability and application of advanced technology
– Annual regional economic growth of 6.5% with 2 – 2.5 times higher regional GDP in 2030 compared to 2021
– Developing multi transportation systems connecting interregional and international areas, focusing on water transport as regional strength. About 830 km of expressways; 4,000 km of national highways; four airports; and 13 seaports will be constructed and renovated
– Increasing the proportion of fishery & fruits and decreasing the proportion of rice; developing high-quality commodity agriculture; developing a system of agricultural focal centers
Restructuring agricultural productions adapting to natural conditions following three ecological sub-areas: freshwater area at the upstream and center of the Mekong Delta, brackish- and seawater area at the estuary, freshwater and brackish water at the transition area in the middle of the Mekong Delta
– Focusing to develop processing industries and supporting industries in a sustainable and environmentally friendly manner
– Developing the Mekong Delta to become an international brand for agricultural – rural tourism, eco-tourism, and marine tourism
The master plan is available here.
Sources & further information: “Government approves development plan for Mekong Delta” at https://vietnamnews.vn and “Phê duyệt Quy hoạch vùng đồng bằng sông Cửu Long” at https://baotainguyenmoitruong.vn, accessed on 7 March 2022.