The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE) announced today the top events in the sector of natural resources and environment in Decision 2652/QĐ-BTNMT as follows:
1. Resources management and environmental protection are among the key tasks defined in the Resolution of the 13th National Party Congress and important topics at the high-level agenda of the Party and State Leaders
2. Strong commitments of Vietnam at the 26th UN Climate Change Conference of Parties (COP26): achieving carbon-neutrality by 2050; reducing methane emissions by 30% by 2030; participating in the declaration of transformation of energy, forests and land-use, and global adaptation action.
3. Resolution on national land-use planning 2021-2030, vision 2050 and the 5-year land use plan (2021-2025): ensuring national defense and security, protecting environment and ecosystems, adapting to climate change; meeting requirements of infrastructure development, industrialization, and urbanization; maintaining 3.5 million hectares of rice land and forest coverage of 42-43%.
4. Directive No. 10-CT/TW on strengthening the Party’s leadership in hydrometeorological work to meet the requirements of national construction and defense and Development strategy of the hydrometeorological sector to 2030, with a vision to 2045: by 2030, Vietnam’s hydrometeorology reaches advanced science and technology level of Asia; be capable of providing sufficient, reliable and timely hydro-meteorological information and data to meet requirements of socio-economic development, natural disaster prevention and control, climate change adaptation, and national defense and security.
5. Water resources management follows integrated planning
This view is manifested in the integrated river basin planning, master plan on basic survey of water resources by 2030, vision 2050, and other projects.
6. Innovation, strengthening international integration for sustainable development of the marine economy by 2030, vision 2045
The direction is stated in Directive No. 31/CT-TTg on renewing and strengthening the implementation of the Strategy for sustainable development of Vietnam’s marine economy to 2030, with a vision to 2045. The first report on national state of sea and island environment 2016 – 2020 was published.
7. Receiving high-resolution SPOT 6/7 satellite signals, meeting the needs of environmental resources management and socio-economic development activities
Along with the acquisition of VNREDSat-1 remote sensing satellite images of Vietnam, the high-resolution remote sensing satellite signal acquisition system contributes to building a large database of remote sensing, serving the requirements of resources management, environmental protection, disaster prevention, and response to climate change; providing remote sensing data for industries and fields serving socio-economic development, defense and security assurance.
8. Biosphere Reserves Núi Chúa and Kon Hà Nừng recognized to join the World Network of Biosphere Reserves
Núi Chúa is the only typical dry forest ecosystem in Vietnam and Southeast Asia. Kon Hà Nừng is a typical forest ecosystem in Central Highlands.
9. Cần Thơ won the ASEAN Environmentally Sustainable City Award and two individuals won international awards for wildlife conservation and flood forecasting
Cần Thơ is the 5th city in Vietnam to win the title of ASEAN environmentally sustainable city.
Nguyễn Văn Thái, director of the Center for Wildlife Conservation in Vietnam (SVW) is the first Vietnamese conservationist to be awarded Goldman Environmental Prize.
Nguyễn Hoàng Minh, from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, was awarded a scientific research prize by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) for young scientists with his study on flood forecasting.
Sources & further information: “Công bố các sự kiện nổi bật Ngành Tài nguyên và Môi trường năm 2021” at https://baotainguyenmoitruong.vn and “Bộ Tài nguyên và Môi trường công bố sự kiện nổi bật trong năm 2021” at https://www.vietnamplus.vn, accessed on 31 December 2021.