Prime Minister (PM) approved a project to enhance plastic waste management in Vietnam via Decision 1316/QĐ-TTg on 22nd July 2021.
The overall goal is:
(1) improving plastic waste management from central to local levels; contribute to the National strategy on solid waste management to 2025 and vision 2050 (Decision 491/QĐ-TTg in 2018), National Action Plan on Marine Plastic Waste (Decision 1746/QĐ-TTg in 2019), and Promotion on management, reuse, recycling, treatment, and minimization of plastic waste (Directive 33/CT-TTg in 2020).
(2) contributing to the development of a circular economy model in Vietnam towards reduction of single-use plastic, hardly degradable nylon bags and promotion of reuse, recycling, and treatment of plastic waste.
The specific objectives are:
(1) improving policies and legislation related to plastic and plastic waste.
(2) by 2025: 100% use of environmentally friendly plastic bags in commercial settings and supermarkets; reuse and recycling of 85% of generated plastic waste; reduction of 50% of marine plastic waste; 100% of tourism areas don’t use single-use plastic products, hardly degradable plastic bags; and gradual reduction of single-use plastic products and hardly degradable plastic bags in daily activities.
(3) increasing awareness related to plastic and plastic waste.
Sources and further information: “Phê duyệt Đề án tăng cường công tác quản lý chất thải nhựa ở Việt Nam” at https://baotainguyenmoitruong.vn and “Quyết định phê duyệt Đề án tăng cường công tác quản lý chất thải nhựa tại Việt Nam” at https://thuvienphapluat.vn, accessed on 23 July 2022.