These events were announced by the Vietnam Science and Technology Journalist’s Club under the Vietnam Journalists’ Association on 28th December including:
1. The 13th National Party Congress listed science, technology, and innovation (STI) in a Party’s resolution, for the first time, as one of three strategic breakthroughs to promote country’s rapid and sustainable development.
2. The sixth international conference on Vietnamese studies entitled “Vietnam’s Active Integration and Sustainable Development”
Various topics discussed include history, economics, politics, international relations, culture, society, and environment.
3. Vietnamese scientists won the Best Innovation Award of the Asia Innovation Award 2021 for study on developing biosensors for online assessing BOD in water
The prize was awarded to the research group of Dr. Phạm Thị Thùy Phương and colleagues from Institute of Chemical Technology under Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology.
4. Smart city model of Viettel Military Industry and Telecoms Group (Viettel) was recognized as the world’s most effective and innovative by the World Communication Awards (WCA) 2021
5. Erosion prevention embankment work in Xuyên Mộc district, Bà Rịa – Vũng Tàu province
The embankment work was constructed by Vietnam Science and Technology Joint Stock Company (Busadco), applying new technology, technical solutions, advanced products, and appropriate embankment construction methods. This construction work meets the requirements of disaster prevention in response to climate change, sea-level rise.
6. Cooling jacket for medical staff in Covid-19 epidemic control
The product was invented by a research team from the National Centre for Technological Progress under the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST). The jacket helps to cool the summer heat for medical workers for about three hours.
7. Mobile isolation helmet honored by World Intellectual Property Organization
The helmet was invented by a group of three Vietnamese students Đỗ Trọng Minh Đức, Trần Nguyễn Khánh An, and Nguyễn Hoàng Phúc. The mobile isolation helmet is equipped with ventilators that can support “people who need for people who need complete protection from COVID-19 for long periods of time”.
8. Prof. Châu Văn Minh, President of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology, was awarded accolades from France and Belarus
9. Lục Ngạn lychee and Bình Thuận dragon fruit granted Protected Geographical Indication from Japan
This recognition will create advantageous conditions to export these products to the Japanese market as well as choose markets from Europe, the Republic of Korea, and New Zealand.
10. Successful TechFest Vietnam 2021: “Embracing Innovation – Reshaping the Future”
Sources & further information: “Ten notable scientific and technological events of Vietnam in 2021 announced” at https://en.nhandan.vn and “10 sự kiện khoa học và công nghệ nổi bật năm 2021” at https://www.moitruongvadothi.vn, accessed on 31 December 2021.